York Regional Council has decided that all business owners and operators throughout York Region must have a policy in place to prohibit people from entering enclosed public spaces if they are not wearing a face mask or covering, effective July 17 until November 30.
Exceptions will be provided for those unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, children under the age of 5 and those who require accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Customers, employees and visitors who enter enclosed public spaces must wear a face mask or covering.
This applies to the following establishments:
- Premises or any portion thereof which are used as a place of business for the sale or offering for sale of goods or services, and includes a mall or similar structure which contains multiple places of business
- Churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, or other places of worship
- Community centres including indoor recreational facilities
- Libraries, art galleries, museums, aquariums, zoos and other similar facilities
- Community service agencies providing services to the public
- Banquet halls, convention centres, arenas, stadiums, and other event spaces
- Premises utilized as an open house, presentation centre, or other facility for real estate purposes
- Common areas of hotels, motels and other short-term rentals, such as lobbies, elevators, meeting rooms or other common use facilities
- Concert venues, theatres, cinemas, casinos, and other entertainment facilities
- York Region Transit (YRT has its own bylaw requiring individuals wear a face covering while on transit vehicles or property)
- Post-secondary institutions
- Child care facilities
- Private transportation
- Hospitals, independent health facilities
- Offices of regulated health professionals
- Apartment buildings and condominiums, including their common areas
- An area that is not enclosed or indoors (e.g. restaurant patio)
Wearing a face mask or covering when in public or other settings is not a replacement for following proven measures such as handwashing and physical distancing of at least 2-metres.
Please go to www.york.ca/mandatorymasks to learn about the proper way to wear face masks to protect yourself and others.