The City's snow windrow clearing service has been expanded to include all local, residential driveways.
A snow windrow is the pile of snow left at the bottom of a driveway after a snowplow has cleared the road.
Plows will remove one car’s width of the snow windrow for you, so you have a path to your street.
The snow windrow clearing service will begin with the first significant snowfall this winter.
Generally, snow windrow clearing will start four hours after road plowing begins. Times may vary depending on the length of the storm, snow accumulation and time of day (e.g. rush hour). You can visit RichmondHill.ca/RHPlows to track our plows online.
For up to date info of the winter maintenance activities visit www.RichmondHill.ca/WinterUpdates .
Three things you must do to get your snow windrow cleared
- Don’t park on the street or over the sidewalk when it’s snowing or before snow is expected. This applies even if you have a temporary parking permit. Keep the roads clear for plows and emergency vehicles – or you will be ticketed and/or towed. The safety of staff and residents is our top priority. Parking on the road during a snow event puts all our safety at risk.
- On waste collection days, place your garbage, blue boxes and green bins one meter from the curb on the right side of your driveway (if you're facing the house). This will allow the plow to remove the snow windrow without disturbing the waste.
- Don’t park near the bottom of your driveway. Windrow clearing can only happen if there is at least one meter of clearance between the edge of the road and your vehicle.
- If you previously received our snow windrow clearing service, you do not need to apply again. You’ll automatically receive this service.
- York Region Government maintains main arterial roads that run through Richmond Hill such as Yonge Street, Bayview Avenue and 16th Avenue. Snow windrow clearing service is not provided to these streets.