David West was appointed to Council to fill a vacancy in December 2013 and was later elected to his first full term of council in 2014 and re-elected in 2018.
David has proudly called Richmond Hill home for the majority of his life. He has got to know many people through operating his business West Photo.
Current Official Council Responsibilities:
- Smart Commute Markham Richmond Hill Advisory Board Member
- Richmond Hill Board of Trade Council Liaison
- Civic Precinct Task Force Member
- Heritage Richmond Hill Member
- Heritage Centre Advisory Committee Member
- People Plan Task Force Member
- Youth Action Committee Council Liaison
- Village of Richmond Hill Business Improvement Area Board Member
- Mackenzie Health President’s Advisory Board Member
Current Volunteer Positions
- Winter Carnival Committee Member (since 2011)
- Mill Pond Splash Committee Member
- Richmond Hill Philharmonic Orchestra Board Member
- Mackenzie Health Foundation Strides for Stroke Organizing Committee Member
- Richmond Hill Ward 4 Maple Syrup Festival Founder
- Pathways Toward Reconciliation Secret Path Screening and Event Committee Member
Highlights of Past Community Volunteer Involvement
- President Professional Photographers of Ontario (PPO) 1999-2001
- Richmond Hill Chamber of Commerce Board Member 2004-2008
- Chair of the Board Richmond Hill Chamber of Commerce 2009-2010
- Mackenzie Health Hospital Foundation Major Gifts Committee Member 2003-2010
- Toronto Waldorf School Vice Chair of the Board 2008-2012
- Town of Richmond Hill Yonge Subway Advisory Task Force, Community Member 2007 People Plan Official/Plan Strategic Plan Review, Community Member 2007 – 2009
- Committee of Adjustment Member 2010-2013
- Small Business Enterprise Centre Advisory Committee Member 2013
- Cultural Leadership Council 2013
- Active citizen participant in Richmond Hill Official Plan and Strategic Plan Processes 2008-2013
- Early Harvest Youth Photography Competition Judge (Vaughan Library) 1997- 2014
- Yellow Brick House Board Member 2010-2012
David firmly believes the goal of a strong and vibrant community will only be achieved through community involvement.
He believe there is still more work to be done. There are many issues we face as a town now and in the future such as :
- transportation and traffic congestion
- wise and efficient development of our employment lands
- re-development of our retail employment lands (including the revitalization of our Historic Downtown Core)
- management of new infill residential developments within existing residential areas
- the wise and responsible management of our natural areas
- the need for local businesses and citizens to be able to cut the unnecessary red tape in their interactions with the town.
How Council responds to all of these issues will shape Richmond Hill in the years to come so it is crucial that we get these decisions “right”.
David continues to strive to make Richmond Hill the best community it can be for his fellow citizens. He firmly believes it is an honour and privilege to serve his community and to work in collaboration with residents to accomplish the community’s goals.
David strives to keep in touch with his community including sending out a regular newsletter. Please email David at [email protected] to receive these valuable updates.