“The reality of the sex trade is not shown on TV or in movies. It isn't glamorous and it isn't always a choice. Victims are from right here in our community. They are our classmates, students, friends, neighbours, sisters and daughters.” York Region Police
As Christ followers we are called to love our neighbours as ourselves, specifically, to choose to recognize the value in one another. How better to demonstrate that love than to understand the plight of our neighbours involved in trafficking and to mobilize into action to give them the same opportunities that we ourselves have. Join us in an evening of learning and action, underpinned by the power of prayer, to learn how you can express the love that God commands of us.
You will hear from experts, all with lived experience, and will be guided through facilitated sessions to support idea development around what taking action can look like in our community over the next year.
1. Increase awareness of what constitutes human trafficking and the breadth of its existence in York Region
2. Mobilize community action
3. Provide tangible opportunities for exit
2. Expert Panel
- Casandra Diamond, Founder and Director of BridgeNorth
- Gladys Mok, Ministry Director, Fight4Freedom
- Greg Pierce, York Regional Police
- Suzanne Smoke, Program Coordinator and Outreach at Muskoka Parry Sound Sexual Assault Services
- Grace Van Ankum, Program Coordinator Beauty for Ashes Transformation House (BATH)
3. Develop Action Plans
This is an ecumenical event and open to anyone who would like to attend. A team from the Meeting House church in Newmarket and Richmond Hill are putting the program together with support from those working in the field. If you would like to volunteer or find out more information, don't hesitate to contact our team lead, Alison Williams ([email protected]).
A light meal will be offered. We will share the opportunity to donate to WICC (Women's Interchurch Council of Canada) as they provide grants to those bringing change in the realm of Human Trafficking. More details about the itinerary for the evening to be published closer to the day.
Doors open at 5:00pm. Event begins promptly at 5:30pm.